I decided to share with you one of my DIY gift ideas I’ve been working on. I love the marble look, so after I saw this DIY on Pinterest, I wanted to try it out. Just as a disclaimer, it may take a few tries to get the acquired look. If it doesn’t turn out how you want, just remove the paint with nail polish remover. This is one of those things that either turns out really well, or is a complete Pinterest fail. Don’t lose heart!
DIY Marble Mug
- Disposable container
- Nail polish
- Wood coffee stirrer or toothpick
- Sponge brush
- Glossy acrylic sealer (I used Liquitex Gloss Medium & Varnish)
- Fill container with warm water. Drip nail polish into container, as shown below. Pockets will form.
- Quickly use stirrer or toothpick to expand the pockets of nail polish. Then dip your mug in a circular motion.
- Let dry. Then add a glossy acrylic sealer with a sponge brush just over the design. You might need to add more layers of sealer, depending on your design. Be sure to let dry between applications.
Notes: The sealer should not be brushed over the inside or any areas you drink out of. The mug should be cleaned with mild soap and water, as it’s not dishwasher safe.